Call for projects : Opensoon
Last modified:25 May 2021
The objective of the OpenSoon call for projects is to promote the opening of new, original, quality shops that implement sustainable practices and generate momentum in the Brussels-Capital Region’s shopping districts.
The programme is managed by a partnership between Brussels Economy and Employment (BEE) and hub.brussels.
This call for projects is open to future retailers who want to start their business in the Brussels-Capital Region.
Businesses opened since 01/01/2021 can take part in this call for projects.
All business creation projects meeting the financial viability, originality and quality criteria and implementing sustainable practices.
To be eligible, the business must meet all of the following conditions:
- Be located in the Brussels-Capital Region;
- Target business activities related to a new retail outlet whose opening date is after 01/01/2021 (or 17/08/2020 for first panel files);
- Meet a minimum number of sustainable practices as defined in the Excel appendix to the application form. Note that these best practices will vary depending on the business sector (Restaurant/Café, food retailing, processor-retailers, other);
- The application must be submitted by the deadline in the required format (forms, appendixes, etc.).
As this is a competition, selection will be based on projects which best meet the selection criteria, until the available budget is depleted
The projects will be judged according to four selection criteria:
- Project quality and originality
- Project feasibility and commercial strategy
- Financial viability of the project
The criteria will be reviewed and assessed by a multi-disciplinary committee.
- Assistance from hub.brussels on request consisting of:
- a coaching phase to position the project properly;
- a consulting phase to find the best location to set up the planned business;
- a consulting phase to assist with the marketing strategy;
- Financial support of up to €15,000 from the Brussels-Capital Region.
The following cannot take part in the call for projects:
- Applicants who already have a retail outlet in the same sector in the Brussels-Capital Region (same retail concept and/or name). Concepts being tested on a temporary basis (notably: pop-up stores, etc.) are not necessarily disqualified.
- Activities carried out by the liberal professions, educational establishments, crèches, nurseries or service voucher companies,
- Major companies, i.e. employing over 250 FTE, with revenue in excess of €50 million or a total annual balance sheet greater than €43 million,
- Government offices and public and semi-public organisations,
- Companies and non-profits that are not independent of the public authorities (over half of the administrative body, management or supervisory members are appointed by government departments or autonomous administrative bodies).
Applicants must have a company number valid as of the submission of the subsidy request to the BEE.
If they don’t have one, the applicant will be excluded from the call for projects and lose their right to request the subsidy.
The selection procedure consists of four phases:
1) REVIEW THE RULES OF THE CALL FOR PROJECTS
2) CONTACT HUB.BRUSSELS AND DESIGN THE PROJECT
Candidates must contact hub.brussels for a first meeting, which can be held any business day between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm.
3) SUBMIT THE APPLICATION FILE
It must include:
- the application form
- the “sustainable criteria” appendix for your sector: Restaurant/Cafe - Food retailer - Processor-retailer - Other sector (Note: the appendix must be completed and sent in Excel format, not as a PDF);
- the business plan;
- the financial plan;
- a mood board with at least four photos of the product and four illustrating the setting;
- a copy of the lease agreement (or draft lease agreement);
- a layout plan or sketch of the premises.
The documents must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or by registered letter with return receipt (hub.brussels - Brussels Agency for Business Support - Chaussée de Charleroi 110, 1060 Brussels).
The file must be sent at the latest by:
- 01 March 2021 for first panel projects
- 23 April 2021 for second panel projects
- 25 June 2021 for third panel projects
- 27 August 2021 for fourth panel projects
The application files will be reviewed by a multidisciplinary Advisory Committee.
4) IF THE PROJECT IS SELECTED: SUBMIT THE SUBSIDY REQUEST FORM AND ITS APPENDIXES
- the subsidy request form, completed and signed by a person legally authorised to bind the company;
- a copy of the articles of association and/or proof of registration with the Crossroads Bank for Enterprises;
- a signed copy of the lease agreement;
- proof of the own funds and loans listed in the financial plan;
- a list of public aid.
The documents must be sent in electronic format to email@example.com by 4:00 pm at the latest on the following days:
- 22 April 2021 for projects selected by the first panel
- 15 June 2021 for projects selected by the second panel
- 24 September 2021 for projects selected by the third panel
- 18 October 2021 for projects selected by the fourth panel