Social enterprises recognised by the Brussels-Capital Region can benefit from various advantages. How to get approved?
The Ordinance of 23 July 2018 on the approval and support of social enterprises contains the criteria for being approved as a social and democratic enterprise.
Who can be registered as a social entreprise?
In order to be accredited as a social enterprise, the enterprise must :
be a legal person
- of public law or
- private law (ASBL or commercial company including cooperatives);
have a registered or operating office located in the Brussels-Capital Region.
respect the following three principles :
- The implementation of an economic project (continuous production of goods and services);
- The pursuit of a social purpose (aiming at the collective interest, limiting the redistribution of benefits, using sustainable production and consumption patterns)
- Democratic governance (low salary pressure, participatory dynamics, decision-making power not exclusively linked to capital ownership).
The conditions for approval as a public or private company are set out on the website of Brussels Economy and Employment.
At the federal level, social enterprises that take the form of a cooperative can receive approval from the National Council of Cooperatives (CNC) issued by the FPS Finance.
What are the benefits of being accredited as a social entreprise ?
- A 10% increase in traditional aid to companies.
- Access to calls for projects dedicated to social and democratic enterprises in the Brussels-Capital Region (note that access to these calls for projects is also possible without accreditation).
- Access to calls for projects from Foundations (King Baudouin Foundation, Foundation for Future Generations, etc.). (note that access to these calls for projects is also possible without accreditation).
- Access to European funding dedicated to social and democratic enterprises (European Social Fund Plus, Horizon Europe, the Single Market programme, Erasmus +, the LIFE programme and the Invest EU program)
Approval is granted for two years. It may be renewed for a period of three years, at the end of which it may be renewed for periods of five years.